Re: Today mozilla-firebird Wants To Remove KDE

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:43, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 01:27:52PM -0400, David Crane wrote:
> > In the other branch of this thread, I asked whether multiple rounds of
> > "apt-get upgrade" would be needed to bring a 3.0rev1 "woody" distribution
> > up to a current "testing" distribution.
>
> Here's the documentation of 'upgrade' from the apt-get(8) man page: note
> the "under no circumstances" bit, which is important for a distribution
> like testing or unstable where packages are in substantial flux.
>
>        upgrade
>               upgrade is used to install the newest  versions  of  all
>               packages  currently  installed  on  the  system from the
>               sources enumerated  in  /etc/apt/sources.list.  Packages
>               currently  installed  with  new  versions  available are
>               retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are  cur-
>               rently  installed  packages  removed,  or  packages  not
>               already installed retrieved and installed. New  versions
>               of  currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
>               without changing the install status of  another  package
>               will be left at their current version. An update must be
>               performed first so that apt-get knows that new  versions
>               of packages are available.
>
> Repeated runs of 'apt-get upgrade' should be no more effective than a
> single run.

Note, though, that "apt-get upgrade" plus the manual "apt-get install"
of the held-back packages works perfectly.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.
Guess which is more effective...