Re: Today mozilla-firebird Wants To Remove KDE

Ron Johnson wrote:

Even though the packages have been "removed", the debs still remain
in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Thus, unless new revisions of the KDE s/w have been released, apt
won't re-download the debs.

It just gets better and better. Debian APT is brilliant, really. I knew that the *.deb files were cached, because of the apt-get -d (--download-only) flag.
On Saturday morning, I was dejected to see that a 31 MB *.deb file had
failed to download. I went ahead and started the "apt-get -d upgrade" again, and was thrilled to see it start up at 65% of *that one file*. In 49 minutes,
the remaining 11 MB were downloaded.  I had expected a 2.5 hour 31 MB
download, and feared a 6.75 hour download of everything.

Now I'm really glad I set up a 5 gigabyte partition for the /var filesystem.

In the other branch of this thread, I asked whether multiple rounds of
"apt-get upgrade" would be needed to bring a 3.0rev1 "woody" distribution
up to a current "testing" distribution.

Thanks,
David Crane