Today mozilla-firebird Wants To Remove KDE

I just did an "apt-get update" and the package dependencies changed
significantly.  Now an install of mozilla-firebird will leave diald
and pop installed, but it wants to remove most (all?) of KDE.  That's
unfortunate, since I was just starting to explore things, but it's livable.

Is this typical for the "testing" distibution?  Yesterday, a new package
conflicts with dialup internet access, today with the KDE desktop?
I'm not complaining, of course.  I'm thrilled to find that the apt
system can keep track of these dependencies on so many levels, and I
fully understand that it takes a lot of work (including testing).

Or are we in a period of an unusual amount of activity in "testing?"

Thanks,
David Crane