RPM bashing (was Re: Woody vs. Sarge vs. You've heard this before ;-))

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 00:01, Aaron wrote:
> On -2471-Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:28:50PM -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> spake thus,
> > My mixed sarge/sid system has worked very well for me, with minimal,
> > surmountable issues.  Certainly less than I had when trying to
> > upgrade RPM-based systems.
>
> This is a repeated reply, but I had to add that I actually have an
> RPM-based system (it's RedHat Valhalla, or 7.3 for the
> digit-using-folk), and I must admit that the RPM format is an
> admirably HORRIBLE package management system. Unless you really want
> to use RPM for EVERYTHING (and that's really hard to do on a desktop
> machine where you need... Hmm... Flexibility?), your dependencies
> immediately get screwed up, not to mention RPMs thinking they're
> installed when they're not and not letting you uninstall them. In my
> experience, it's a mess.

Shoot...  My system was pure RPM, and I couldn't upgrade KDE 2.2.1
to 2.2.2, no matter how much I deinstalled or tried to compile from
SRPM.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |