Re: Woody vs. Sarge vs. You've heard this before ;-)

On -2471-Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:28:50PM -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> spake thus,
> My mixed sarge/sid system has worked very well for me, with minimal,
> surmountable issues.  Certainly less than I had when trying to
> upgrade RPM-based systems.

This is a repeated reply, but I had to add that I actually have an
RPM-based system (it's RedHat Valhalla, or 7.3 for the
digit-using-folk), and I must admit that the RPM format is an
admirably HORRIBLE package management system. Unless you really want
to use RPM for EVERYTHING (and that's really hard to do on a desktop
machine where you need... Hmm... Flexibility?), your dependencies
immediately get screwed up, not to mention RPMs thinking they're
installed when they're not and not letting you uninstall them. In my
experience, it's a mess.

I love Debian.

--
Aaron Bieber