Re: Woody vs. Sarge vs. You've heard this before ;-)

On -2471-Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:28:50PM -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> spake thus,
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 15:53, David Fokkema wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:30:33PM -0600, John M. Purser wrote:
> > > 100) were recognized but no driver was available.  Finally working from a
> > > response on this mailing list I installed woody stable again, changed my apt
> > > sources, and upgraded to Sarge, where I was STILL stuck with kde 2.2!
> >
> > Not any more. KDE 3.1 has entered testing, :-)

Has it? I overwrote my sources with just lyre.mit.edu/debian and chose
testing/main, did an update and dist-upgrade, and I have KDE 2.2.25...
apt-cache policy kde tells me that Installed and Candidate are both
4:2.2.25.

> > > I think most people should think twice before going to testing.  If it's
> > > just one package you're desperate for then take a look at finding a back
> > > port or building from source.  If you really want to TEST DEBIAN then buddy
> > > strap that helmet on, hit the gas, and go for it!  If you want to USE DEBIAN
> > > to get other work, play, learning done then stick to stable.

So far so good with testing. After doing the dist-upgrade my machine
rebooted directly back into X with the nvidia kernel module
operational and everything seems to be fine. Although I was
disappointed that I ended up with KDE 2.2.25, while gAIM jumped from
0.52 to 0.64 (where it belongs!)

> > My idea. And then I tried testing. Nothing 'weird' happened. Finally,
> > my mission-critical, production laptop is running unstable. Had no
> > problems whatsoever, ;-)
> >
> > (Still, I think you're absolutely right. You have to decide if you want
> > to run the _risk_ that something breaks.)
>
> Jeez, you run a risk getting into your car, or walking to the subway...

With this I do agree. That's what I tell people who are afraid of
touching public bathroom door handles. You seriously run a greater
risk of being killed by a car on the street than contracting any
significant illnesses from a public bathroom. Sorry, off topic.

> My mixed sarge/sid system has worked very well for me, with minimal,
> surmountable issues.  Certainly less than I had when trying to
> upgrade RPM-based systems.

Is that so? I am already considering going right to unstable now that
I've seen testing work out okay. Always interested in other opinions,
though. Surely this thread alone has proven that there is more than
one way to look at it.

[ Huge, dramatic ASCII box sig snipped ;-) ]

--
Aaron Bieber
-