Re: Woody vs. Sarge vs. You've heard this before ;-)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:58:14AM -0400, Aaron wrote:
> On -2471-Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:28:50PM -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> spake thus,
> > >
> > > Not any more. KDE 3.1 has entered testing, :-)
> > >

> Has it? I overwrote my sources with just lyre.mit.edu/debian and chose
> testing/main, did an update and dist-upgrade, and I have KDE 2.2.25...
> apt-cache policy kde tells me that Installed and Candidate are both
> 4:2.2.25.

Oops... NO! Sorry... Just checked again. We're still in a transition
phase. Parts of 3.1 have entered testing. kdebase is still at 2.2.2.
Sorry again...

> So far so good with testing. After doing the dist-upgrade my machine
> rebooted directly back into X with the nvidia kernel module
> operational and everything seems to be fine. Although I was
> disappointed that I ended up with KDE 2.2.25, while gAIM jumped from
> 0.52 to 0.64 (where it belongs!)

KDE is a very complex package. There were all types of problems. It ran
fine in unstable, but you can't promote to testing unless you can
compile it in testing, ;-) and have all libs available.

> > > My idea. And then I tried testing. Nothing 'weird' happened. Finally,
> > > my mission-critical, production laptop is running unstable. Had no
> > > problems whatsoever, ;-)
> > >
> > > (Still, I think you're absolutely right. You have to decide if you want
> > > to run the _risk_ that something breaks.)
> >
> > Jeez, you run a risk getting into your car, or walking to the subway...
>
> With this I do agree. That's what I tell people who are afraid of
> touching public bathroom door handles. You seriously run a greater
> risk of being killed by a car on the street than contracting any
> significant illnesses from a public bathroom. Sorry, off topic.
>

> > My mixed sarge/sid system has worked very well for me, with minimal,
> > surmountable issues.  Certainly less than I had when trying to
> > upgrade RPM-based systems.
>
> Is that so? I am already considering going right to unstable now that
> I've seen testing work out okay. Always interested in other opinions,
> though. Surely this thread alone has proven that there is more than
> one way to look at it.

I run unstable. Had no problems. Of course, sometimes you have to _do_
something. I read the KDEWiki to install kde 3.1. Is fixed now, you can
just install it, ;-)

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!