[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: 2.4.18 pcmcia troubles



On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:23:40PM +0000, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
> ScruLoose wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:53:18AM +0000, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
> >>ScruLoose wrote:
> >>>On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:34:07PM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:

> >>>>So I try modprobe i82365 and it complains thus:
> >>>>Intel PCIC Probe: not found
> >>>>/lib/modules/2.4.18-586tsc/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module:
> >>>>No such device.
> >>>>and after a couple more lines, insmod fails.
> >>
> >>
> >>what does lspci say?
> >
> >00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82437MX Mob. System Ctrlr (MTSC) 
> >& 82438MX Data Path (MTDP) (rev 02)
> >00:01.0 Bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82371MX Mobile PCI I/O IDE Xcelerator 
> >(MPIIX) (rev 03)
> >00:03.0 PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev e2)
> >00:06.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2070 
> >[MagicGraph NM2070] (rev 01)
> 
> Try the i82092 module.  It lists support for the CL 6729.
> 
> I think it probably won't work, however...

Hm.  I don't *think* that worked, but I'm not entirely sure.
The i82092 module loads, but subsequent attempts to modprobe
pcnet_cs result in the familiar error:
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
and after a couple more lines it says insmod failed.

Does this look like the module doesn't support my hardware, or is there
some sort of vital step I'm leaving out in between there?

> ... because it only actually refers 
> to it in the current 2.4.22 pre-release kernels, not in 2.4.18 or even 
> 2.4.21.

Now, when you say "refers to it"...  Is this information I should know
where to look for myself?

> I found a "help" message from linux-laptop a year or so ago, which said:
> 
> } I'm using the pcmcia-cs modules instead because I've read that the
> } Cirrus 6729 isn't supported by the 2.4 kernel drivers yet.
> 
> There wasn't anything else useful there, but it suggests you might run 
> into problems going from 2.2 to 2.4 (which you already have)

Hehe!
I guess now I know it's not just me, anyway...

> If i82092 doesn't work on 2.4.18, you need to build a kernel from source 
> using a current 2.4.22pre-* kernel.  I can see the excerpt in 
> 2.4.22pre5, which I use:
> 
> 	{
> 	      vendor:PCI_VENDOR_ID_CIRRUS,
> 	      device:PCI_DEVICE_ID_CIRRUS_6729,
> 	      subvendor:PCI_ANY_ID,
> 	      subdevice:PCI_ANY_ID,
> 	      class: 0, class_mask:0,
> 	},
> 
> The latest is 2.4.22pre10.  I would advise either building that, or 
> sticking with 2.2.20 until 2.4.22 proper is released -- I guess that's 
> likely to be only a few weeks given Marcelo's recent comments on lkml.
> 
> You may need help with building the kernel; a good place to start is 
> installing the kernel-package package and looking at its documentation.

Um.  I see.
Well, I *have* been eyeing the "very verbose guide" to compiling a
Debian kernel...
That's a process that I think has been pretty thoroughly documented in
a number of places, and I've been meaning to have a go at it sometime;
maybe now's the time.

That does lead me to another question:  would it be any significant
security risk (or instability risk) to use a pre-release kernel on a
firewall?

Thank you very much for the help. You rock.

-- 
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
>   -ScruLoose-   |             The more I get to know people             <
>  Please do not  |                the more I like my dog.                <
> reply off-list. |                   - Rev. Stu Strang                   <
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Attachment: pgpwxQCWbkcKL.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: