Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:41:56 +0100
Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I don't use the Debian packages.  I download the src and just compile it.
> It always compiles for me without problem. No doubt I would make my own
> debs if I knew how, but I've always found the documentation on this
> obscure.

    I recently put together my first package from scratch.  These instructions
were quite helpful:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

    Of course there is a world of difference between what I had put together
(par2cmdline) and sylpheed-claws.  For larger packages I just want a later
version of what I generally do is download the updated source, download the
source from apt (apt-get source foo), copy the debian directory over and try
doing an unsigned binary build to see if it works.  That method worked nicely
for a personal build of slrn 0.9.7.0 when I neded SSL compiled in and most
recently the 0.14.0.90 beta of Pan.