Re: what happened to freeswan?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:28:30PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> [2003.07.15.2304 +0200]:
> > Unfortunately, what they are doing to keep the possibility of the
> > US government trying to take action against them, has caused the
> > mainline kernel developers to refuse to include their work in the
> > mainline kernel.
>
> I haven't followed this at all. Is there a comprehensive link?

Basically what's happening is that FreeS/WAN very emphatically refuses
to accept any contributions from US citizens.  The David Miller, who is
basically *the* Linux network stack guru, is a US citizen, freeswan's
position didn't sit well with him.  Of course, the kernel developers
could have forked freeswan; why they didn't I don't know.

Basically, you have to look at freeswan as a political statement as much
as as a security tool.  If you know much about security, you can easily
see why opportunistic encryption, which is basically where freeswan
fucuses its efforts, is useless as a security tool.  They're doing it
for the politics, with security as a side effect.  This isn't
surprising, when you look at what the freeswan founder has done in the
past.

I'm not saying that I don't trust FreeS/WAN's security or the people who
develop it, or that I disagree with the politics.  FreeS/WAN is a very
well written piece of code that I use regularly.

One cool thing to note is that Herbert Xu has created patches for the
freeswan userland code that allow it to work with KLIPS or the native
Linux IPsec.  That way you should be able to gradually move to the new
IPsec code, rather than have to worry about changing (and configuring
and debugging) the userland and kernel stuff at once.  See the linux-net
archives for more info on this.

noah