Re: what happened to freeswan?

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:52:11PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2003.07.13.1935 +0200]:
> > Yeah, I'm not too happy about how freeswan is handled right now, either.
>
> I just talked to Rene. the 1.99 to 2.0 switch requires a rewrite of
> the kernel-patch. Thus it will take a little longer. But there will
> be a kernel patch. Thanks, Rene!
>
> > Fortunately we won't need freeswan anymore, once Linux 2.6 is out
> > (or if you want to use linux 2.5).  But still, I thought the old
> > freeswan packages worked very well, and the new changes do seem to
> > sacrifice some of the package's usefulness to me.
>
> I am not going to convert to 2.6 immediately, nor will I trust its
> IPsec implementation from day one. Thus I am happy to use FreeS/WAN
> for another year or more. Aside, I like FreeS/WAN!

I've been using freeswan for almost two years, and it always seemed like it
was duplicate work and behind what was in the BSDs but they kept it up.

Unfortunately, what they are doing to keep the possibility of the US
government trying to take action against them, has caused the mainline
kernel developers to refuse to include their work in the mainline kernel.

It's good that Linux can now benefit from the work going on in the BSDs, as
well as the integration with cryptoAPI which freeswan has been planning
forever.

So now what happens to freeswan?  There's not much point porting it to 2.6.
It'll probably be around as long as 2.4 is (1-4 years -- just take a look at
2.0, some people are still using it, though, even debian is integrating
features that are 2.0 incompatible now -- just look at ssh, though that can
be made 2.0 compatible by changing the config file).

I'm going to be using freeswan for a while also, but I'm going to be helping
to test 2.6-test ipsec to make sure it will be useful at 2.6.0. :)

Mike