Re: 120 GB hard drive on old P75

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > > I am trying to install a 120 GB hard drive as a third hard drive on a
> > > Pentium 75 with a cmd640 IDE interface.  I am attempting to replace a
> > > 60GB hard drive that has been working without any problems.  When I
> > > install the 120GB hard drive Linux only sees it as a 132 MB hard drive.
> > > Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?  Below is the boot up
> > > messages with the 60GB hard drive as the third drive (hdc) and the 120
> > > GB hard drive as the fourth drive (hdd).
>
> the cable nor controller should affect "capacity" it sees
>
> root# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
> -- should tell you how many cylnder/sector/heads it thinks there is
>
> i suspect your p5 mb is too too old
> 	- check that the bio supports ata-66/ata-100/ata-133
> 	( probably doesnt )
>
> 	- check that the jumpers on the drive is setup for "big disk"
> 	( jumper setting varies w/ manufacturer (ibm, maxtor, wd, seagate)
>
> 	- check the kernel supports the ide chipset on the mb

bzzt!  Misleading, if not wrong.

After linux boots, it does not use the bios to deal with any other
disks.  For example, I have an old p166 which has a 80 gig HDD as the
secondary master drive.  Although the bios doesn't see it, linux uses it
without a problem, and has been for over a year now.  (Linux even
enables SMART on it, which the bios does not understand).

So, while you might have a few problems booting from a 120 GB HDD, you
should have no problems accessing a 120 GB HDD once booted.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night