Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 00:52, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I adjusted the the "FSB Frequency" down from 166 MHz to 133 MHz.  I usually
> get temps of 48-52 C after a few hours of normal use (running as a 1900+).
> If I do anything CPU intensive (compile a kernel, zip or unzip a huge file,
> etc.) then it hot enough that I can't even think of running it as a 2500+
> and as a 1900+ the temps go to 53-57 C.  That seems a bit high to me.

I have a P4 which has a normal temperature range of upto around 70
degress Celsius. AMD chips are supposed to run even hotter so, 53-57
degrees C sound fine to me. You should google around to find its
temperature range.

Like others have suggested, I would recommend running memtest to ensure
that there is nothing wrong with your memory modules. Also, what
graphics card are you using and does it lock up even if you re not in X
?

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com