Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

On 8 Jul 2003, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 00:52, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > I adjusted the the "FSB Frequency" down from 166 MHz to 133 MHz.  I usually
> > get temps of 48-52 C after a few hours of normal use (running as a 1900+).
> > If I do anything CPU intensive (compile a kernel, zip or unzip a huge file,
> > etc.) then it hot enough that I can't even think of running it as a 2500+
> > and as a 1900+ the temps go to 53-57 C.  That seems a bit high to me.

thats too high .. by around 10C-15C for midtower/full cases

> I have a P4 which has a normal temperature range of upto around 70
> degress Celsius. AMD chips are supposed to run even hotter so, 53-57
> degrees C sound fine to me. You should google around to find its
> temperature range.

a P4 should be running at about 30-35C ... in idle

i think your either your heatsink is bad or your fan is not spinning right

amd XP runs about 5-10C higher ...

cpu temps are highly dependant upon:
	- good seal between heatsink and cpu ( use good thermal grease )
	- good thermal coefficents between air and the heatsink to pull
	  the heat off the heatsink
		- cpu w/ copper heatsinks are a bitch to keep cool since
		copper is a good thermal conductor
	- good streaming air flow across the cpu heatsinks
	- number of heatsink fins also effects the cpu temp as does the
	  thickness of the heatsink on the cpu

all temps from bios "pc health monitor"  vs   lmsensors ( can be way off )

you're killing your CPU at half-life rates for every 10C increase in cpu
temp from 25C
	http://www.linux-1u.net/CPU/

> Like others have suggested, I would recommend running memtest to ensure
> that there is nothing wrong with your memory modules. Also, what

seen many/few memory modules that pass memtest/memtest86 ... but fails
in 2 minutes when running a real app like compiling the kernel or
dumping/streaming data onto the network
	- run some streaming video apps and it finds all kinds of hw
	problems

> graphics card are you using and does it lock up even if you re not in X

memtest does NOT prove that memory is bad ...

- you can have a timing problem between mb and mem modules
- you can have timing problems between mem modules
- you can have cpu/motherboards running fsb-200 vs fsb-333 vs fsb-400 vs
  fsb-533 vs fsb-800 and the corresponding memory fsb
	-- be sure your jumpers are set right for the cpu and memory and
	pci buss speeds

-- use a different/better memory stick ... usully is 10x more reliable of
   an answer if the "system works" or not
	( use kingstron, mushkin, corsair, memory sticks
	( use lei, century, atp, etc...

	- no manufacturers label or if their mem prices is 1/2 of
	kingston/mushkin/corsair... than you've potentiall got a memory
	problem out of the box

c ya
alvin