Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

 --- Nick Lidakis <nick.lidakis@verizon.net> escribió:
> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> >  I have recently purchased a new machine (Athlon XP 2500+ w/ 333MHz
> >  FSB, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9000 Pro).
> >
> >  I have manage to figure out that by messing with the chipset settings
> >  in the BIOS I can change the speed of the CPU's opertation. I.e.,
> >  setting a speed of 166 MHz comes up in the POST as a FSB of 333 MHz
> >  and the CPU is detected as an Athlon XP 2500+. If I up it to 200
> >  MHz, it show 400 MHz FSB and Athlon XP 3200+ in the POST. Anyhow, if
> >  I run at the rated 333 MHz FSB, it occasionally locks up. I have
> >  installed a Zalman CPU fan with a copper heatsink and two 80mm Antec
> >  case fans (1 front, 1 rear, 34 CFM each).
> >
> >  What is the deal? Am I missing something? Please forgive my
> >  ignorance but I don't have much experience with modern hardware, the
> >  last time I custom built a machine was 7 years ago. I also have no
> >  experience with AMD processors. I would like ot resolve this since
> >  once I can get Sid running well I plan to install Gentoo on another
> >  partition, and I will need to be able to run the processor with a
> >  high load for that.
> >
> >  -Roberto Sanchez
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking. You increased CPU and
> FSB setings and made the machine run faster.
> Which specific settings did you futz with? Did you increase the CPU core
> voltage to the point where it overheats and locks up?
> Are you using generic high latency RAM that can't handle the high FSB?
>
> Last time I checked, Zalmans were designed for quiet (some models are
> fanless IIRC) operation. Is your Zalman CPU cooler up to snuff when it
> comes to cooling
> and overlocked processor? Then again, they make alot of different models.
>
> I think it's best that you Google and look for info on overclocking
> CPUs, if you want to go that route. . Also go over to Tom's Hardware
> Guide (www.tomshardware.com)
> and look up his everything-you-need-to-know-about-a-BIOS article. You'll
> find it most helpful.
>
> I prefer stability and quiet operation myself. I'ts bad enough I have to
> listen to a siren (for 16 hours on a double shift) at work,
> much less something that sounds like a 1940's model Hoover under my desk.

The problem I am having now is that I can't even run it at the _rated_ clock
speed.  I have to run it my 2500+ as a 1900+ to keep it from locking up.

I adjusted the the "FSB Frequency" down from 166 MHz to 133 MHz.  I usually
get temps of 48-52 C after a few hours of normal use (running as a 1900+).
If I do anything CPU intensive (compile a kernel, zip or unzip a huge file,
etc.) then it hot enough that I can't even think of running it as a 2500+
and as a 1900+ the temps go to 53-57 C.  That seems a bit high to me.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es