re: tasksel, first time with debian

Hi all,
I'm having some trouble getting tasksel to install packages past the
base system.  I'm not new to linux, (bsd, redhat) but I'm new to
debian.  I'm assuming the problem is not with taskel itself, but rather
with some dependencies or broken packages, but I don't know quite how to
interpret the error messages.

I get a heap of
Depends: <package> but it is not going to be installed
and then finally
E: Sorry, broken packages
for anything I try through tasksel.

I'm using 3.0r1 on and athlon XP 2000+ with pretty standard hw.  I've
got to the shell, and got the network going, but I can't get a gui!

Any help on how to get past this would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if
I haven't posted enough info, or wrong list.

TIA,
Iain