Re: tasksel, first time with debian

On Sun, June 29 at 12:26 PM EDT
Iain Buchanan <iaindb@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm having some trouble getting tasksel to install packages past the
> base system.  I'm not new to linux, (bsd, redhat) but I'm new to
> debian.  I'm assuming the problem is not with taskel itself, but
> rather with some dependencies or broken packages, but I don't know
> quite how to interpret the error messages.
>
> I get a heap of
> Depends: <package> but it is not going to be installed
> and then finally
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> for anything I try through tasksel.
>
> I'm using 3.0r1 on and athlon XP 2000+ with pretty standard hw.  I've
> got to the shell, and got the network going, but I can't get a gui!

Cool I am totally jealous of your hardware.  Try
#apt-get -s install xserver-xfree86
to simulate an install of that package.  It will show you any
dependent packages it wants to download.  If it looks good run the same
command w/o the -s (simulate).  You can also do
#apt-cache show xserver
and look at the available packages in case one other more suits your
video card.  When you install it debconf will ask you for options, hope
you have your monitor and vid card specs handy if you want it exact.

> Any help on how to get past this would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry
> if I haven't posted enough info, or wrong list.

I don't know of a better list.

Shawn
> TIA,
> Iain