Re: tasksel, first time with debian

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Depends: <package> but it is not going to be installed and then finally
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> for anything I try through tasksel.

That looks like a broken /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Which may have
happened if you edited the file and made a typo or possibly if you had
a problem with the web proxy section.  Check /etc/apt/* for anything
which looks suspicious.

> I'm using 3.0r1 on and athlon XP 2000+ with pretty standard hw.  I've
> got to the shell, and got the network going, but I can't get a gui!

In the US?  Here is a US centric example /etc/apt/sources.list file
for Debian stable with security updates.  Otherwise select a mirror
which would be closer to you.  Using these you should be able to get
all of the dependencies that you need and install anything you wish
from tasksel.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
  deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

> Any help on how to get past this would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if
> I haven't posted enough info, or wrong list.

This is a good list for your question.

I actually don't use tasksel any more myself.  I just install the
packages I want.  Here is a hint which might be of use to you.  Run
'tasksel -t' which does not actually run the command but just prints
out the apt-get command that it would have run without the -t option.
You can run it as a normal user.  For just printing out the command it
does not need root.  I started out doing that since 'cxref' has an
ordering problem and creates an error if it is installed with
everything else.  If you still see the that problem just restart the
command and run it again and the dependencies for cxref will be worked
out the second time.

Bob