re: tasksel, first time with debian

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 22:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>  Hi all,
> I'm having some trouble getting tasksel to install packages past the
> base system.  I'm not new to linux, (bsd, redhat) but I'm new to
> debian.  I'm assuming the problem is not with taskel itself, but rather
> with some dependencies or broken packages, but I don't know quite how to
> interpret the error messages.
>
> I get a heap of
> Depends: <package> but it is not going to be installed
> and then finally
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> for anything I try through tasksel.
>
> I'm using 3.0r1 on and athlon XP 2000+ with pretty standard hw.  I've
> got to the shell, and got the network going, but I can't get a gui!

Tell me if I read this right, or what's different:

You're installing Debian from scratch, no pre-existing files.
You've completed the initial install, and can boot to, and log in to a
console.
You're trying to run tasksel under those conditions?

Did you try to use tasksel to install X Windows during the initial
install (the first time tasksel was presented)?  Did you also select
"Desktop" from tasksel?

Have you run any install program besides tasksel (apt-get, or aptitude)?

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file contain?

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu