Re: debian

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 00:04, M. Kirchhoff wrote:
> Quoting "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net>:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 03:21:39PM -0700, John Sunderhaus wrote:
> >
> > > But your point is well taken; you can productively run X on an
> > > underpowered machine - but I'll bet you aren't happy.
> >
> > I'd bet quite the contrary.  Chances are they use it because they *are*
> > happy with it.  I much prefer my Blackbox based X configuration to
> > anything else available for Windows, Mac, or Linux.  Why?  Because it's
> > what *I* chose.  Not what someone else decided I should use.  Does it
> > have all the latest eye candy?  Hell *no*.  That's one of the main
> > reasons I use it.  I don't want all that extra overhead (and yes, my
> > system has more than enough processor power to spare).  The point is,
> > it's all about choice.
>

> Ditto.  My PII-366 ThinkPad with 128MB RAM runs Fluxbox on X like a champ.  So
> does my Athlon 1.2Ghz desktop with 768MB RAM; I don't feel the need to run a
> bloated desktop environment simply because my hardware can handle it.
>
> M. Kirchhoff

I ran FVWM (back when it was FVWM2) on my first generation Pentium/90MHz
in 80 MiB of RAM and nine desktops loaded with programs (top, system
monitors, diald's dctrl gui, Netscape 4, several xterms, emacs) with
reasonable comfort and response - only slow aspects were the full hard
drives and that I was on dial-up back then.

The big consideration is what sort of load are you placing on the
hardware and what is it honestly capable of. The Pentium/90MHz system
started straining when load pushed much over 2, while my PIII-800MHz
with 512 MiB RAM now handles a load of 4-5 comfortably, and only starts
to slow as it approaches 7, and crawls at 10. I have seen it hit 12+,
but I remember a VAX 11/780 I used a couple decades back hitting a load
in excess of 40 at one time when a university course had an assignment
due on that machine. That VAX was good up to a load of 10 for
interactive functions, and it wasn't until it moved past 15 that it
started to be unusable for interactive functions.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org