Re: debian

On Sunday 22 June 2003 01:39, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 01:07:21AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > And, just so I can join in the foray of the auto-detect flame-fest
> > > here, if a user doesn't know his hardware well enough to be able to
> > > pick it from a list he shouldn't be installing an OS in the first
> > > place.
> >
> > Errr, *wrong*.  Much of my gear is second-hand, and of course the
> > first thing the original owners invariably do is lose the manuals.
> > :( My current motherboard is the first one I've ever had a manual
> > for, ditto my S3 VGA card, and I've *never* owned any monitor of a
> > brand that's been listed in the 'X' config options.
>
> Actually, he's right.  It's 2003 and people still don't know about
> Google?

You think I didn't *try* that?    ;)
Short of taking the monitor apart and looking for some name on the chassis
inside, I could find nothing.
And that does presuppose one has a spare working PC with an Internet
connection handy.

> > Yet, both RedHat and Mandrake's graphical installers and Debian's penguin
> > logo display fine with *whatever* card I'm running - what is it the
> > installers know that they won't tell X config ?    :(
>
> X is not the framebuffer.

I don't know the technicalities, it still seems odd to me that the installers
can display a graphical image perfectly while they're installing, yet when
they reach the point of setting up X, she don't work.    Not to mention,
frustrating.

cr