Re: What's going on with Gnome in "testing"?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 07:12:41PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 14:55, stan wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:04:03PM -0500, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:00:38PM -0400, stan wrote:
> [snip]
> > The panel applets are a key part of why I use Gnome. My panel (on the
> > bottom) is slap full. Let's see, on this machine from left to right, I've
> > got, The Foot, X Terminal weather, clock, Gnome terminal, help, Galeon, CPU
> > load, x eyes, dictionary look up, battery monitor, XMMS, CD player,
> >
> > Last time I looked, most of these were not available in Gnome 2.
> >
> > I have almost no icons on the desktop, which seems to be Gnome 2's preferred
> > (only ?) way of invoking most things.
> >
> > Am I alone here?
>
> I also like The Panel, and never use desktop icons on my Gnome 2.2
> system.  In fact, I disable Nautilus...

Well of course, that's a given.

> On my panel, I have
> Geyes 2.2.2
> Weather Report 2.2.2
> The Foot
> Clock 2.2.2
> Icons to start up apps like Evo, Moz, OOo, XCDRoast & GnomeTerm
>
> The complete(?) list of applets in gnome-applets 2.2.1 :
>  Battstat
>  CD player
>  Character Palette
>  Command line
>  Drivemount
>  Geyes
>  Keyboard Layout Switcher
>  Modemlights
>  Stock ticker
>  System monitor
>  Volume control
>  Weather report
>  Wireless

Hmm, I'm at home now. Given that list I'd be missing:

Dictonary lookup
CPU load
Slashapp

And I use a different clock than the standard one.

This is a _very_ weak looking list of choices.

Is this on purpose? Gnoem 2.x has been out a _long_ time for this to be all
that;s avaiable.

I vote for keeping both avaialble. I do still have Gnome crashes, but I've
just tared off my ~/.gno* directries, and when they happen, I just relaod
from the tar file.

I'd rather put up with that, thna lose functionality. Although in a perfect
world, I would not have to fo either :-(

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin