Re: What's going on with Gnome in "testing"?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:04:03PM -0500, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:00:38PM -0400, stan wrote:
> > My "testing" macines tried to remove gnome-core this mrning, when I did a
> > dist-upgrade.
> >
> > What's going on here?
> >
> > Is this another case of "just wait a while and it will get better"?
>
> It looks like GNOME 2.2 is moving in to testing. If you wait a while it
> probably will get better, but you can apt-get a few GNOME2 packages and
> get a reasonably functional desktop. I'm not sure if there are plans to
> eventually allow GNOME 1 and 2 to coexist within Debian or if it's a
> complete replacement, though I think I have seen references to a big
> debate about that.

Oh no! I tried Gnome 2 on an machine running Debian "unstable" and never
did get anything even remotely close to the functionality I have in my
Gnome 1 setups.

It looks like all kinds of things have simply "disappeared" in Gnome 2. Am I
missing something important here?

> If you're really happy with GNOME 1.4, you might not care too much for
> GNOME 2.x. It's a major change in design and philosophy, and those
> changes have been the subject of heated discussions. You might decide
> you like the changes, or you might decide you don't (I don't), but you
> should try to use it long enough to give it a fair chance. I'll warn you
> that there still aren't nearly as many cool little panel applets or
> GNOME2-aware window managers as with 1.4.

The panel applets are a key part of why I use Gnome. My panel (on the
bottom) is slap full. Let's see, on this machine from left to right, I've
got, The Foot, X Terminal weather, clock, Gnome terminal, help, Galeon, CPU
load, x eyes, dictionary look up, battery monitor, XMMS, CD player,

Last time I looked, most of these were not available in Gnome 2.

I have almost no icons on the desktop, which seems to be Gnome 2's preferred
(only ?) way of invoking most things.

Am I alone here?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin