Re: What's going on with Gnome in "testing"?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:00:38PM -0400, stan wrote:
> My "testing" macines tried to remove gnome-core this mrning, when I did a
> dist-upgrade.
>
> What's going on here?
>
> Is this another case of "just wait a while and it will get better"?

It looks like GNOME 2.2 is moving in to testing. If you wait a while it
probably will get better, but you can apt-get a few GNOME2 packages and
get a reasonably functional desktop. I'm not sure if there are plans to
eventually allow GNOME 1 and 2 to coexist within Debian or if it's a
complete replacement, though I think I have seen references to a big
debate about that.

If you're really happy with GNOME 1.4, you might not care too much for
GNOME 2.x. It's a major change in design and philosophy, and those
changes have been the subject of heated discussions. You might decide
you like the changes, or you might decide you don't (I don't), but you
should try to use it long enough to give it a fair chance. I'll warn you
that there still aren't nearly as many cool little panel applets or
GNOME2-aware window managers as with 1.4.

--
Michael Heironimus