Re: choosing version of gcc to compile with

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> I've seen various recommendations:
> 1) CC=xxxx (or CXX)
> kernel builds, at least with some add-ons, apparently require some
> other variable get set too.  I can't remember it offhand.
>
> or
> 2) edit the makefiles by hand (ugh)
>
> or
> 3) use dpkg-divert to set the default cc tools.  Note gcc does not use
> /etc/alternatives, and this is deliberate.

or
4) use builder-cc

(from the manpage)

SYNOPSIS
       export DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=architecture
       export DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER=gcc-version
       gcc ...

I assume it should always work unless the makefile references a
specific version of gcc, and circumvents the environment variables of
builder-cc.

Brian