Re: Network not enabled with upgraded kernel, 2.2.20->2.4.18, Dell Insp 4100 NB

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 at 11:30am, e broyles wrote:

:Installing a new kernel over a newly installed Woody system, upgrading to
:2.4.18.  This all goes pretty well.  I apt-get the kernel source etc, and
:configure through menuconfig and install using dpkg.  It installs fine, boots
:no problem.  I think it is in menuconfig that I have a problem.  I am likely
:missing the part of the kernel I need to get the networking(it had been working
:with 2.2.20, which is what the Woody disk had on it).  Alternatively, what
:setup might I need to do?  It did things magically when I installed Woody,
:found my network, got an IP, but perhaps there is something I need to do once
:the new kernel is installed.

There are some config options which say you don't need them but which
break networking if you don't have them.  Obviously, you need CONFIG_NET,
but you also need CONFIG_NETFILTER (even though the help says if unsure
say N) at least.  I think you may need CONFIG_FILTER as well.

Do 'less .config' in your kernel source directory to see which CONFIG_*
are set, or 'cat .config | grep FILTER' to see if indeed CONFIG_NETFILTER
is not set.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*