Re: Network not enabled with upgraded kernel, 2.2.20->2.4.18, Dell Insp 4100 NB

    "e.broyles" == e broyles <e> writes:

    e.broyles> Installing a new kernel over a newly installed Woody
    e.broyles> system, upgrading to 2.4.18.  This all goes pretty
    e.broyles> [.....]
    e.broyles> It did things magically when I installed Woody, found
    e.broyles> my network, got an IP, but perhaps there is something I
    e.broyles> need to do once the new kernel is installed.

Besides the other hints on this thread be sure to get the packet
filter built in for dhcp if you use the (default) ISC dhcp client.I
can never remember exactly what you need, but here is what works:

shyamal@rattler:~$ /sbin/lsmod | grep pack
af_packet              11848   0
shyamal@rattler:~$ grep PACKET /boot/config-2.4.18-k7
CONFIG_PACKET=m
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
# CONFIG_NCPFS_PACKET_SIGNING is not set
shyamal@rattler:~$ grep FILTER /boot/config-2.4.18-k7
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y