Re: Network not enabled with upgraded kernel, 2.2.20->2.4.18, Dell Insp 4100 NB

on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:30:56AM -0700, e broyles (e_broyles@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Installing a new kernel over a newly installed Woody system, upgrading
> to 2.4.18.  This all goes pretty well.  I apt-get the kernel source
> etc, and configure through menuconfig and install using dpkg.  It
> installs fine, boots no problem.  I think it is in menuconfig that I
> have a problem.  I am likely missing the part of the kernel I need to
> get the networking(it had been working with 2.2.20, which is what the
> Woody disk had on it).  Alternatively, what setup might I need to do?
> It did things magically when I installed Woody, found my network, got
> an IP, but perhaps there is something I need to do once the new kernel
> is installed.
>
> System Particulars:
>
> Debian, upgrading kernel 2.2.20->2.4.18
> Dell Inspiron 4100 with built in Ethernet

    grep Ethernet /proc/pci

...is going to be useful to us here.  Or install lspci and run it.

I keep a system-info script at

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

...running this and posting output would be useful.

Peace.

    "What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed
    robot? No, don't bother to answer that, I'm fifty thousand times
    more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It
    gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level."
    -- HHGTG