Wacky apache (1.3.27) behavior

Greetings!

I've got the latest apache (1.3.27.0-1) and php4 (4.2.3-14) packages,
and I've noticed a very strange thing.  If I create a file in the root
of the web server (/var/www) named 'foo.php' that looks like this:

    <?php echo "<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>BODY</BODY></HTML>\n" ?>

when I go to http://webserver/foo.php, I get a page that looks
appropriate.  I also get this page when I go to:

    http://webserver/foo/anything/I/type/here/is/ok

One other piece of data.  If I create an empty file named 'foo.html' in
the same directory, I start getting the appropriate 404 errors when I go
to /foo/ locations.

Eh?  The problem is that this sort of thing appears to be happening when
crawlers (and my htdig) hit my site.  The result is a recursive tree
that goes on forever.

What's up with this?  Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: