Re: How to make DNS and DHCP server play nice?

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:11:12PM -0400, Jerry Quinn wrote:
> R Ransbottom writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > > This is great!  I put in a wishlist to have dnsmasq read the dhcp
>  > > lease file out of the box.  Then dnsmasq will really be plug and
>  > > play.
>  >
>  > Since only one dhcp server should exist on a segment it is a bad
>  > idea to have such a package work without, at least, forcing the user to
>  > set it up.
> However, dnsmasq already serves as a dns proxy out of the box for
> whatever server was handed you by dhcp.  And it reads your hosts
> file.  The package seems to be explicitly designed for this use (small
> network dns service) and as such, I would think that finishing the job
> would make sense.  We're trying to make life easier for people, not
> harder.

I setup a machine for a friend about a year ago with dnsmasq.  I just
looked at my notes as I was wondering why I used dnsmasq instead of
bind.  I'd like to uppate my notes.  Is the issue that dnsmask will
watch resolve.conf for changes where it's hard(er) to make bind do that?

Bill Moseley