Re: How to make DNS and DHCP server play nice?

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:11:12PM -0400, Jerry Quinn wrote:
> R Ransbottom writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > > This is great!  I put in a wishlist to have dnsmasq read the dhcp
>  > > lease file out of the box.  Then dnsmasq will really be plug and
>  > > play.
>  >
>  > Since only one dhcp server should exist on a segment it is a bad
>  > idea to have such a package work without, at least, forcing the user to
>  > set it up.
>
> However, dnsmasq already serves as a dns proxy out of the box for
> whatever server was handed you by dhcp.  And it reads your hosts
> file.  The package seems to be explicitly designed for this use (small
> network dns service) and as such, I would think that finishing the job
> would make sense.  We're trying to make life easier for people, not
> harder.

I setup a machine for a friend about a year ago with dnsmasq.  I just
looked at my notes as I was wondering why I used dnsmasq instead of
bind.  I'd like to uppate my notes.  Is the issue that dnsmask will
watch resolve.conf for changes where it's hard(er) to make bind do that?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org