Re: How to make DNS and DHCP server play nice?

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Jerry Quinn wrote:

> Hi, all.  I have a debian box serving as my firewall/router/dhcp
> server.  The dhcp does the job fine, except for dns.
>
> I'd like to have dns lookups work correctly for my internal network.
> So is there a simple means of having my dhcp clients being able to
> have their names resolve to IP's easily (no or minimal config)?
>
> I'm not currently running a DNS server but can put one in.  What I've
> read of configuring bind so far makes it sound like a sizable
> investment in time to get working what seems to me to be a pretty
> basic and common desire.

It sounds like you are talking about a small network behind a firewall
that is also doing NAT. A very easy way of doing this is to use the
dnsmasq package. This is really easy to set up. It is purpose-built for a
small network where bind would be WAY overkill. I think it is really cool.
It was very easy to setup.