Re: CUPS / HPLJ5: very slow printer processing

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 19:21, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm using CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5.  Output is...terrifyingly
> slow, particularly when generating my standard output -- multi-sheet-per
> page reports created by running textfiles through mpage:
>
>     $ mpage -2 foo.txt | lpr
>

> I'm looking for suggestions on speeding processing, which is currenlty
> on the order of 4-5 ppm, with a healthy processing wait on the printer
> before a job is started.   Printer should handle ~12ppm or better.  As
> best I can tell it's *not* postscript enabled, pity....
>
> >From /etc/cups/printers.conf:
>
>     # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.15
>     # Written by cupsd on Fri May  9 22:44:58 2003
>     <DefaultPrinter HPLJ5>
>     Info QPC Office HPLJ5
>     Location QPC Office
>     DeviceURI smb://USERNAME:XXXXXXXX@DOMAIN/PRINT-SERVER/HPLaserJet5
>     State Idle
>     Accepting Yes
>     JobSheets none none
>     QuotaPeriod 0
>     PageLimit 0
>     KLimit 0
>     </Printer>
>
> Peace.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What Part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
>    KQED FM:  The bright spot on the dial:  http://www.kqed.org/fm/

Y'know, except for printing copies of a page, I've never seen a consumer
laser printer that runs at anywhere near the rated speed on anything
other than maybe a basic monospaced, built-in font, presenting multiple
copies of a page. Otherwise, you are transferring an image of the page
rasterised on the computer by GhostScript, or at least "translated" from
PostScript to, in your (and my) case, PCL. This takes time to transfer,
particularly if you are sending through and sizing fonts for the text,
so that you rarely get the rated speed, whether run from Linux, Windows,
or even DOS.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org