Please help, network card does not work after kernel upgrade (though it gets detected by kernel)

Is there anyone who can help me with my netwotk problem.
I am on a DHCP network and after fisrt installation of Woody it was working perfectly (it automatically set all the settings) But after upgrading to new kernel 2.4.20, it does not work anymore. I have compiled my network card into kernel and as you can see from the output of dmesg, it gets detected by the kernel but I don't know why it does not work, i.e. I do not have any connection to outside world.
Help , Pleaaaaaaase .

Here is some information I could get:
dmesg output :
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker
Last Modified Nov 1,2000 by Paul Gortmaker
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 40 95 10 c8 dd
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ4
The network my machine is connected to is DHCP, the first time I
installed Woody, it automatically assigned IP address and configured the
network settings for me.

The pinging just returnes 127.0.0.1

By the way, is there any utility in debian that can be used to
automatically do these stuff, like the one in the Woody Setup

Thanks
Hamid