Re: Network doesn't work after new kernel installation

On Monday 19 May 2003 07:39, Hamid wrote:
> Here is some information I could get:
> dmesg output :
> ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker
> Last Modified Nov 1,2000 by Paul Gortmaker
> NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 40 95 10 c8 dd
> eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ4
> The modules installed are : vfat, fat, ntfs and ide-floppy. ( I have
> embeded my network card into the kernel)
> The network my machine is connected to is DHCP, the first time I
> installed Woody, it automatically assigned IP address and configured the
> network settings for me.
> The pinging just returnes
> By the way, is there any utility in debian that can be used to
> automatically do these stuff, like the one in the Woody Setup

Ok, so this means there is nothing wrong with the kernel sinds it finds the
network card without any problem.

when you run
'ifconfig eth0' what does it return ? Do you see in ifconfig 'UP' which means
the device is up, if not try running 'ifconfig eth0 UP' which brings the
device up.
If this doesn't work try to get a dhcp lease manually using:

'dhclient eth0' what does it return ?
- --
Homepage: http://www.de-brauwer.be

May the tux be with you