Re: Please help, network card does not work after kernel upgrade (though it gets detected by kernel)

Hamid wrote:

Is there anyone who can help me with my netwotk problem.
I am on a DHCP network and after fisrt installation of Woody it was working perfectly (it automatically set all the settings) But after upgrading to new kernel 2.4.20, it does not work anymore. I have compiled my network card into kernel and as you can see from the output of dmesg, it gets detected by the kernel but I don't know why it does not work, i.e. I do not have any connection to outside world.

In "/etc/networking/interfaces" you should have a stanza that looks something like:

auto lo eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then run "/etc/init.d/networking stop" followed by "/etc/init.d/networking start". This should get your network working. If not, what's the output of "ifconfig"?

Some other things to check:
lspci
lsmod
network cable
/etc/resolv.conf
dhcp-client or pump or a similar dhcp client app

--
Kent