Re: Linux vs Windows

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 04:48:48PM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2003, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 03:10:44PM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> > > 3) Finished GUI:  The GUI of windows software and the OS seems to be
> > > more finished then linux.  A simple example would be how many linux apps
> > > like to maximize so that they are larger then the displayed window
> > > space.
> >
> > Are you suggesting that Windoze apps don't? Plenty of 'em do. An
> > example that immediately springs to mind is the CD writing progress
> > dialog in Nero, and also its "Nero Express" wizard interface. Also,
> > plenty of web pages do the same sort of thing: open a new browser
> > window which is too big for the screen and lacks resize controls.
>
> Odd, which version of Nero is that?  I have never noticed it in
> the CD writing dialog.  (Never used the Nero express component, so I
> can't comment on it.)

5.5.8.2 on one of my father's machines a few weeks ago; at 640x480,
the "Save", "Print", "Discard" buttons were off the bottom of the
screen. Same with the Express component, which made it very hard to
use (I wasn't using that by choice, but it kept refusing to let me use
the standard interface until I eventually reinstalled it). ISTR the
problem was still there at 800x600 on my own machine with 5.5.7.8, but
I haven't used it for ages so I could be misremembering.

> I'm not saying that windows is immune from the problems, but at 800x600,
> there are a lot of Linux apps out there that have windows larger then
> the screen size.  Mozilla's and Galeon's preferences page both spring to
> mind.

Sure, the pcb package in debian is the same.

> At 640x480, a lot of linux apps become unusable, which is a big PITA.
>
> YMMV, but in my experience, I'd rather have a MS Windows machine running at
> 640x480 then a X-Windows machine.

Well, I guess that depends on how willing you are to hack the source if it
turns out to be desirable.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons