Re: Linux vs Windows

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 03:10:44PM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> > 3) Finished GUI:  The GUI of windows software and the OS seems to be
> > more finished then linux.  A simple example would be how many linux apps
> > like to maximize so that they are larger then the displayed window
> > space.
>
> Are you suggesting that Windoze apps don't? Plenty of 'em do. An
> example that immediately springs to mind is the CD writing progress
> dialog in Nero, and also its "Nero Express" wizard interface. Also,
> plenty of web pages do the same sort of thing: open a new browser
> window which is too big for the screen and lacks resize controls.

Odd, which version of Nero is that?  I have never noticed it in
the CD writing dialog.  (Never used the Nero express component, so I
can't comment on it.)

I'm not saying that windows is immune from the problems, but at 800x600,
there are a lot of Linux apps out there that have windows larger then
the screen size.  Mozilla's and Galeon's preferences page both spring to
mind.

At 640x480, a lot of linux apps become unusable, which is a big PITA.

YMMV, but in my experience, I'd rather have a MS Windows machine running at
640x480 then a X-Windows machine.

~ Das

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===