Re: Gcompris 2.3-5 Woody Backport from Sid?

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:35:47PM -0400, James Strandboge wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 13:04, Dan Hunt wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok.  I fixed up the package and it seems to work pretty well.  The only
> > > things to keep in mind are that:
> > >
> > > 1)  you need to make sure that the locale you want to use is generated
> > > (eg dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales)
> > >
> > > 2) the C locale is not defined in gcompris
> > >
> > > 3) french is the best supported locale in terms of sounds.  But the game
> > > works in all of them (from what I can tell).
> > >
> > > Read:
> > > http://debianplanet.org/node.php?id=924
> > > http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html
> > >
> > > for details about installing the backport.  Gcompris will hit the
> > > mirrors tonight after 1:00am EST.
> >
> > Great I followed your instructions in sequence
> > 1)
> > as root"
> > dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
> > " and selected the en-ca for Canadian English
> > ( I think it should have been en-ca-EH eh? )
> > That was a bit cryptic but Google helped me to select the right one,
> > and I had to answer a few questions about really wanting this to happen.
> >
> I was unclear above-- 'but the game works in all of them' means that the
> game works with all of the locales that it supports, not all locales.
> As such, you will have to:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
>
> and generate en_GB.  Then select English in the gcompris configuration
> screen (click the toolbox after it starts).
>

> > 2)
> > I added these lines to my apt/sources.list "
> >
> > # Xfree 4.2 backport
> > deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./
> >
> > " by editing /etc/apt/sources.list
> > I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
> >
> Do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' here, just to be sure.  And do:
>
> apt-get install xfonts-base
>
> Some people have indicated that xfonts-base isn't getting pulled in, and
> it is needed.  I have updated the gnome-core package, but it won't hit
> the mirror until tonight.
>
> > 3) I then added these three lines to my apt/sources.list"
> > # Gnome 2 Backport
> > deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> > gnome2.2/
> >
> > deb-src http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> > gnome2.2/
> > "
> > I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
> >
> Definitely do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' here.  This should fix the errors.
>
> Keep in mind gcompris will not hit the mirrors for about 12 more hours.
> You can then do:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install gcompris gcompris-data gcompris-sound-en
>
> Jamie

X had died, I read the error message and changed the video card section
from{
Driver "nv"
Option "UseFBDev" "true" } to "false"

This fixed X, then I installed GDM using aptitude, this must of fixed
a lot of stuff.

Somehow only the font displayed in Terminal looks like a broken typewriter.
You know, a bad ribbon ( oops my age is showing ).
I prefer to use eterm and it looks great.

When I did the apt-get install xfonts-base it told me I had the newest
version. Aptitude says it is 4.2.1-3

Everything is working and this was a smooth transition.
This Gnome version is wonderful, Thank You.
Dan