Re: Gcompris 2.3-5 Woody Backport from Sid?

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 10:27:53AM -0400, James Strandboge wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 00:15, Dan Hunt wrote:
> > > The gcompris package now seems to work in general.  There are a few
> > > files missing, so I will be working on the package to add the files and
> > > get it into the gnome2.2 backport hopefully soon.
> > I do like Gnome! What changes would I make to my etc/apt/sources.list
> > to pick up your Gnome 2.2 backport?
>
> Ok.  I fixed up the package and it seems to work pretty well.  The only
> things to keep in mind are that:
>
> 1)  you need to make sure that the locale you want to use is generated
> (eg dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales)
>
> 2) the C locale is not defined in gcompris
>
> 3) french is the best supported locale in terms of sounds.  But the game
> works in all of them (from what I can tell).
>
> Read:
> http://debianplanet.org/node.php?id=924
> http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html
>
> for details about installing the backport.  Gcompris will hit the
> mirrors tonight after 1:00am EST.

Great I followed your instructions in sequence
1)
as root"
dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
" and selected the en-ca for Canadian English
( I think it should have been en-ca-EH eh? )
That was a bit cryptic but Google helped me to select the right one,
and I had to answer a few questions about really wanting this to happen.

2)
I added these lines to my apt/sources.list "

# Xfree 4.2 backport
deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./

" by editing /etc/apt/sources.list
I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

3) I then added these three lines to my apt/sources.list"
# Gnome 2 Backport
deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
gnome2.2/

deb-src http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
gnome2.2/
"
I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

4) Then I did this as root "
apt-get install mozilla-xft libxrender1.1
"

5) Then the big one"
apt-get install gnome
"
This gave me these errors that do not seem to be serious.
Right?

<snip>
unpacking gnome-desktop-data (from
.../gnome-desktop-data_2.2.1-1woody1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-desktop-data_2.2.1-1woody1_all.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-emacs.png', which is also
 in package gnome-panel-data
 dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 Preparing to replace gnome-panel-data 1.4.0.6-5 (using
 .../gnome-panel-data_2.2.1-1woody1_all.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement gnome-panel-data ...
 dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file
 `/etc/gnome/panel-config/panel.d/default': Directory not empty
 dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file
 `/etc/gnome/panel-config/panel.d': Directory not empty
 dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/etc/gnome/panel-config':
 Directory not empty
 <another snip>
  /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-desktop-data_2.2.1-1woody1_all.deb

Thank you.
Dan