Re: Gcompris 2.3-5 Woody Backport from Sid?

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 13:04, Dan Hunt wrote:
> > > I do like Gnome! What changes would I make to my etc/apt/sources.list
> > > to pick up your Gnome 2.2 backport?
> >
> > Ok.  I fixed up the package and it seems to work pretty well.  The only
> > things to keep in mind are that:
> >
> > 1)  you need to make sure that the locale you want to use is generated
> > (eg dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales)
> >
> > 2) the C locale is not defined in gcompris
> >
> > 3) french is the best supported locale in terms of sounds.  But the game
> > works in all of them (from what I can tell).
> >
> > Read:
> > http://debianplanet.org/node.php?id=924
> > http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html
> >
> > for details about installing the backport.  Gcompris will hit the
> > mirrors tonight after 1:00am EST.
>
> Great I followed your instructions in sequence
> 1)
> as root"
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
> " and selected the en-ca for Canadian English
> ( I think it should have been en-ca-EH eh? )
> That was a bit cryptic but Google helped me to select the right one,
> and I had to answer a few questions about really wanting this to happen.

I was unclear above-- 'but the game works in all of them' means that the
game works with all of the locales that it supports, not all locales.
As such, you will have to:

dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales

and generate en_GB.  Then select English in the gcompris configuration
screen (click the toolbox after it starts).

> 2)
> I added these lines to my apt/sources.list "
>
> # Xfree 4.2 backport
> deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./
>
> " by editing /etc/apt/sources.list
> I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

Do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' here, just to be sure.  And do:

apt-get install xfonts-base

Some people have indicated that xfonts-base isn't getting pulled in, and
it is needed.  I have updated the gnome-core package, but it won't hit
the mirror until tonight.

> 3) I then added these three lines to my apt/sources.list"
> # Gnome 2 Backport
> deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> gnome2.2/
>
> deb-src http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> gnome2.2/
> "
> I then ran "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

Definitely do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' here.  This should fix the errors.

Keep in mind gcompris will not hit the mirrors for about 12 more hours.
You can then do:

apt-get update
apt-get install gcompris gcompris-data gcompris-sound-en

Jamie

--
James Strandboge
Targeted Performance Partners, LLC