Re: X configuration problem

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 02:59, bernard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Debian 3.0. The PC is equipped with an ASUS V7100
> graphics card (based on a nVidia GeForce2 MX chipset). I use an ordinary 15"
> monitor.
>
> When starting the X server, I receive the following error message :
> (EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
>
> I guess that the problem is due to a configuration error in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (to be found hereunder)
>
> I tried to restart X with different values for the DefaultDepth parameter but
> with no success...
>
> Some hints would be greatly appreciated...

[snip]
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
>         Driver          "nv"
>         Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
> EndSection

I'm 99.44% sure that Nvidia doesn't "do" the frame buffer.  Try this:

  Section "Device"
        Identifier "Generic Video Card"
        Driver     "nv"
        BusID      "AGP:01:00:0"  # use lspci to adjust to your system
        VideoRam   32768  # because I have 32768KB RAM
  EndSection

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |