Re: make-kpkg

On Thursday 15 May 2003 23:12, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003 20:35:05 -0400
>
> Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I tried using make-kpkg kernel_image and module_image.  Afterwards I
> > found no /lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep and I found no initrd image.
> > The kernel would not bootup.  I got the source from the 2.4.18 kernel
> > source package -
>
> The correct target for modules is "modules_image" (note the "s"); you don't
> need it unless you have sources in /usr/src/modules.

So the modules_image target does not correspond to the
make modules
make modules_install
steps in the manual method?

> Now that you have a working kernel, you will probably want to save its
> .config with a descriptive name.

Done.  Good advice.

> Perhaps you could try make-kpkg with that configuration. All I can say
> about the newbiedoc is that if you follow exactly the instructions there
> you will be able to get a working kernel image.

I think you are correct - the kernel image is probably usable.  From what I
could tell there needed to be an initrd image made and perhaps the --initrd
flag was needed.  I'll try it again without the modules_image target and the
--initrd control.

I like knowing how initrd works during boot-up.  I also like being able to
choose when it will be used.  On my workstations, it's fine. I use vanilla
stable loads.  On the custom routers I build  I like to whittle down the
contents of the machine to a bare minimum.

--
Mike M.