make-kpkg

I tried using make-kpkg kernel_image and module_image.  Afterwards I found no
/lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep and I found no initrd image.  The kernel
would not bootup.  I got the source from the 2.4.18 kernel source package -
not from kernel.org.

I was successful installing the kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 package prior to this
kernel building experience.

I tried running depmod -a and mkinitrd to solve the problems above - to no
avail.

After spending many hours trying to use make-kpkg, I went to the kernel HOWTO
and did everything manually.  I got a kernel panic -  which I googled on and
called someone about - and eventually learned how to ditch using the initrd
thing by embedding IDE drivers and ext2fs into the kernel build.  I now am
running a custom 2.4.18 kernel with quite a bit fewer modules - so everything
is good - except for the nagging question of why I couldn't get make-kpkg to
work.

Can anyone help me understand the problems I had with with the modules and
the initrd when I used make-kpkg?  I used these resources to guide me in
using make-kpkg:

http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/kerneldeb.htm
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
--