Re: make-kpkg

On Fri, 16 May 2003 00:23:26 -0400
Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net> wrote:

> So the modules_image target does not correspond to the
> make modules
> make modules_install
> steps in the manual method?

That's correct. "make modules" builds modules in the kernel source tree.
"make modules_install" copies modules from the kernel source tree to
/lib/modules/<kernel_name>.

make-kpkg does "make modules" as part of its normal operation; they are
included in the kernel image .deb. When you install the .deb you install the
kernel, the kernel config, the kernel symbol map, and the kernel modules.

> I think you are correct - the kernel image is probably usable.  From what
> I could tell there needed to be an initrd image made and perhaps the
> --initrd flag was needed.  I'll try it again without the modules_image
> target and the --initrd control.
>
> I like knowing how initrd works during boot-up.  I also like being able to
> choose when it will be used.  On my workstations, it's fine. I use vanilla
> stable loads.  On the custom routers I build  I like to whittle down the
> contents of the machine to a bare minimum.

You choose whether or not to use initrd in the kernel configuration phase.
>From then on, if you need it you always need it (to start that kernel) and
if you don't need it you never need it (to start that kernel). It's not like
you can pass a boot parameter "don't use the initrd".

If you compile your hard drive support (IDE, SCSI, whatever) and your root
filesystem support (ext2, ext3, Reiserfs, whatever) into the kernel you
don't need initrd.

Kevin