Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

I originally enabled both xfs and xfs-xtt in an effort to get OpenOffice
to render properly.  All of the smart quotes were coming out as ?'s, and
like many others here I just banged away at it until I got it to work.

I've got this running on a P1 class machine with 96M RAM, however, which
as you might imagine is excruciatingly slow. So if I can get rid of these
things and still have OO render properly, that will be great.

Moving slightly off topic...  are there other ways to optimize XF86Config
for low-end machines?  I would like to have the bare minimum set up that
still works properly, and I wonder if there are other parts of the X
configuration that might be bringing down my system.
---
Adam Kessel (adam@bostoncoop.net)