Going from Potato to Woody

I did try to go through this recently, and had
difficulty, resulting in a complete "install" of Woody
instead of an upgrade.

I'm trying again on another system.
The problem is this:

I use apt-cdrom add to add my Woody dist cdroms to the
sources.list

Then:
apt-get update

Then
apt-get dist-upgrade.

At this point, apt-get immediately fails.

Same thing with dselect.

Someone in the group had the same difficulty with
Potato, and told me a command that I believe was
essentially upgrading the apt-get and deselect first,
so they'd be able to install from CDROM.

I thought I'd saved all those messages, but I missed
that one.

How does one first get the Potato installers upgraded
so they'll work properly?

Thanks.