Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:07, Adam Kessel wrote:
> I originally enabled both xfs and xfs-xtt in an effort to get OpenOffice
> to render properly.  All of the smart quotes were coming out as ?'s, and
> like many others here I just banged away at it until I got it to work.
>
> I've got this running on a P1 class machine with 96M RAM, however, which
> as you might imagine is excruciatingly slow. So if I can get rid of these
> things and still have OO render properly, that will be great.

Gak!  That's one reason your box is so slow...

> Moving slightly off topic...  are there other ways to optimize XF86Config
> for low-end machines?  I would like to have the bare minimum set up that
> still works properly, and I wonder if there are other parts of the X
> configuration that might be bringing down my system.

Don't know about configuring XFree, but using machine-friendly apps sure
will help.

- What window manager are you using?  (I like xfce, because it is easier
  to config than iceWM and the other slim WMs.

- Never use GNOME 2.x or KDE 3.x apps.

- A video card that has good 2D h/w acceleration drivers under X.
  Personally, I think the NVIDIA Riva TNT2 M64 with the nv driver is
  perfect for this.

- Do you need MS Word/Excel compatibility?  If not, try Lyx, a GUI
  front end to latex which is very resource-light.

- How about email?  mutt or pine are about as light as you can get.
  If you like GUI, Sylpheed is great.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |