Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:07:53AM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:
> Moving slightly off topic...  are there other ways to optimize XF86Config
> for low-end machines?  I would like to have the bare minimum set up that
> still works properly, and I wonder if there are other parts of the X
> configuration that might be bringing down my system.

IMHO this would be a good target for some re-thinking about the focus of
new or re-written documentation. I wrote to the list recently about my
old PI (actually Cyrix) -class system and the project of creating the
lightest feasible X installation on it, that would still let me do nice
things (read the WWW in a GUI browser, launch apps from meny entries,
etc.) There was no one place that had coherent and thorough information
about my choices; some documentation (all created with the best of
intentions) assumes a very recent system with powerful CPU, endless RAM
and a fast video adapter.

What would be ideal would be to see the creation of Debian documentation
aimed at answering most of the questions that a new XFree86 user has
about all the various aspects of setting things up, and did so with a
multi-mode approach: "here's what you could do if you've got a fast
machine and want the fullest installation ... here's what you could do
if you need more minimal services ...".

> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 05:02:07PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I've noticed that a lot of people (both here and on #debian on OPN) are
> > using font servers with X (xfs, xfstt, xfs-xtt, etc, etc) on a single
> > machine, i.e. they're not sharing the fonts over the network.

And of course, to return to the main topic, an update to the existing
documentation about fonts on Debian would be highly appreciated. What
exists right now is dated to before XFree86-4, largely.

--
See my OpenPGP key at https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050
GnuPG public key fingerprint  | "Only when efforts to reform society have as