Re: reisefs vs ext2 or ext3

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 12:42, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Allan Wind wrote:
> > Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > > XFS has some neat stuff, but one thing it lacks is a file system check and
> > > repair utility. That seems to me a lot like hubris.
> >
> > I did not know that, thanks for pointing that out.
>
> But the whole point of a journaling filesystem is that it does not
> need a filesystem check and repair utility.  So taking that as a
> negative when it is a positive is completely missing the point.  It is
> all built into the filesystem itself.  It is not hubris at this point.
> It is a design improvement.
>
> The above is like complaining that an automatic transition is faulty
> because it is missing a clutch pedal and remarking on the audacity of
> the designers for not including one.  Automatics are not faulty for

Faulty analogy.  Sh*t happens: mechanical instruments break (both
standard & automatic transmissions), and filesystems get corrupted
(for example: tiny power surge munges data, buggy driver, undetected
bad block).

Thus, just like you bring both standard & automatic transmissions to
a mechanic, you must bring a "mechanic" to the corrupted filesystem.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |