Re: Manipulating the gnome panel

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 12:59, karrottop wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody here knows of a way to make the gnome-panel
> in gnome2 not be in the "always on top" mode.  I would like to be able
> to expand things like my web browser and movie players over it.  I did
> notice, however, that if I run gnome-panel from within something like
> fluxbox as a stand-alone app it does not force itself into the
> foreground, but behaves like any other application.

Hi,

My GNOME 2.2.1 desktop has 2 "panels".
1. On top, looks like the old Macintosh menu bar.  It's very thin.
2. The "traditional" Gnome panel is on the bottom on my system.

To move the "traditional" Gnome panel, right-click in an empty area
of the panel.  A window should pop up.
The 1st entry will be "Add to panel"
2nd entry: "Delete this panel"
3rd entry: "Properties"

Select "Properties".  A "Panel Properties" window should appear
that has 2 tabs: "Edge Panel" & "Background".  "Edge Panel" should
be the active tab.

A box named "Position" should be in the center, with rectangular
buttons on each side.  Click on the button that corresponds to where
on the screen you want the panel.

HTH
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |